Every year podcasting gains listeners — but also loses them. While early listeners were fans of the medium, the space is growing ever more complex, with people dipping in and out of the medium for a single show or catching their favorite podcast in places creators never planned for. While there is no shortage of advice about how to grow a single podcast, how do we grow
That is the focus of The Podcast Landscape in America, the largest study to date by Sounds Profitable. In partnership with Signal Hill Insights and some of the leading brands in podcasting, Sounds Profitable commissioned a study of over 2400 Americans 18+ to understand why they do, or do not listen to podcasts, what the barriers to future growth are, and how we can turn casual listeners into fans of the medium.
This landmark study examines the following:
- Listener expectations of what podcasting is, and isn’t
- Who is listening less to podcasts, and why
- Causes of listener churn
- The main drivers to current listening and the barriers to growth and discovery*
- The potential of limited series vs. ongoing content
- The role video plays in podcast demand and what YouTube really offers podcasters
- Perceptions of podcasting as a career and as a medium
… and more.
Download the Complete Report