We’re looking for a versatile and experienced audio engineer to work across our shows, including Today, Explained, The Gray Area, The Weeds, and Unexplainable. You will work with our production teams to mix daily and weekly episodes, oversee recording sessions, edit and clean up tape, and score and sound design segments. You’ll also engineer additional Vox audio shows as needed.
If you’re the right person for the role you are a proactive, collaborative, and clear communicator. You have an ear for audio and an instinct for natural dialogue editing and pacing. You have an innate understanding of where and how to use music and sound design to elevate a story. When fixing audio, you know the difference between getting the job accomplished well and going down the rabbit hole. You are equally comfortable editing a two-way conversation as you are mixing more complex content with clips, narration, field tape, ambi, and music. You know the importance of smooth workflows, file organization, and efficient processes. You can work under deadline pressure without compromising high production standards, and you are a detail-oriented person who can confidently deliver high quality work.
WHO WE ARE
Vox candidly shepherds audiences through politics and policy, business and pop culture, food, science, and everything else that matters.
Vox is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Creatively collaborate with production staff on mixing, sound design, music selection, and audio clean-up across all of our shows.
- Assist with technical setup and facilitate interview recordings.
- Clean up and edit tape with minimal supervision.
- Deliver episodes to distribution platforms.
- Troubleshoot technical issues with producers as well as guests and collaborate with technology support teams to resolve technical issues.
- Maintain and improve production best practices.
- Work with the Director, Audio Engineering to proactively identify and communicate areas for improvement in all aspects of our productions.
- Provide backfill for shows as needed.
WHO YOU ARE
- 5 years of audio engineering experience in podcast production, radio, or other audio production. Experience with audio storytelling preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly articulate technical and creative ideas.
- Experience with remote production workflows involving multiple collaborators and stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience with microphones, eq, compression, and producing content to meet loudness standards.
- Demonstrated experience with Pro Tools, Izotope RX, Riverside or other remote AoIP production platforms, and other common audio production tools.
- Ability to make decisions and work efficiently under deadline and prioritize work when facing multiple deadlines.
If you think you have what it takes, but don’t meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
This role is a part of the Vox Media Union, represented by the Writers Guild of America, East
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Our recruiting team will go through applications in a timely manner. Please note that our recruiting team will only contact you from @voxmedia.com email addresses, never via text message. Read more about how our recruiting team operates, and how to protect yourself from recruitment fraud, here.
The salary range listed below represents the minimum and maximum base pay for this position at the time of this posting. Final salary offered to the candidate selected for the position will be based on factors including but not limited to the candidate’s skills and experience.