City Cast is seeking an ambitious, creative Executive Producer to lead daily production for City Cast Austin and Hey Austin, overseeing content, staff, and workflow while also contributing hands-on to the making of each day’s show and newsletter. Our ideal candidate is an experienced audio producer, a capable editor, a local newshound, and a passionately curious Austinite who loves coaching and cultivating talent.
Deadline to apply: Friday, Jan. 12, 2024
- Help set the tone and creative vision for City Cast Austin by contributing, encouraging and shaping story ideas, running production meetings, and keeping daily operations on track.
- Oversee a team of 3 (host, producer, and newsletter editor), ensuring they’re following the same vision and strategy, and have the tools they need to succeed.
- Serve as the primary daily decision maker about City Cast Austin. You’re the person who makes sure it is urgent, relevant, fresh, and substantive.
- Oversee the daily editorial execution of Hey Austin.
- Work in close partnership with the host, providing editorial and creative coaching to ensure they sound conversational and credible.
- Make critical editorial decisions on a tight timeline, on a daily basis, holding all City Cast content to a high journalistic standard.
- With the help of the audio producer and host, book guests, conduct research and pre-interviews, and write scripts–with an eye towards creating smart, fun, digestible, accessible shows that help listeners feel more connected to your city.
- Edit audio capably and quickly in Audition or a comparable platform.
- Edit web and newsletter copy capably and quickly, adhering to AP Style and City Cast standards.
- Serve as the primary liaison with City Cast’s headquarters team.
- Model and foster an inclusive, kind, supportive work environment that enables you and your team to do your best work, and hold staff accountable through constructive feedback, clear goals, and performance reviews.
- Ensure that the show and newsletter are distributed daily to all relevant platforms.
- Provide daily editorial guidance and ideation on the daily newsletter and edit it for accuracy, format, and style.
- Seek out opportunities to choreograph content between the newsletter and podcast for greater impact.
- Oversee lightweight digital strategy around City Cast Austin, helping drive the show’s audience growth and engagement.
- Oversee the team of City Cast Austin’s annual goal development, progress, and performance review feedback.
- Work with City Cast headquarters team to closely monitor podcast and newsletter metrics and apply key learnings to improve content.
- Serve as an on-air voice on occasion, whether as a Friday news roundup guest, or as back-up host.
- Skillfully oversee and maintain budgetary allocations for both team and city operations.
- Listen to team members’ feedback and resolve any issues or conflicts.
- Recognize high performance and reward accomplishments.
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture.
- Experience editing and mixing audio quickly and with a high level of technical proficiency.
- Experience managing an editorial team.
- Experience editing text for clarity, effectiveness, and AP Style.
- A strong track record at coaching on-air talent, and cultivating chemistry between hosts and guests.
- Proven leadership ability, with a passion and knack for mentoring and cultivating talent.
- A love of the podcasting medium, with a desire to take risks, seek out new formats and approaches, seek inspiration from just about anywhere.
- Experience working in a fast-paced content environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including writing, editing, and an understanding of AP Style conventions.
- An ability to navigate conflict productively and directly.
- A passion for your city and a belief that local journalism makes us better citizens.
- An entrepreneurial spirit, and the flexibility and willingness to fill a variety of roles in a nimble, startup environment.
- The ability to plan ahead, stay organized, and keep team members up to speed while managing multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Deep integrity, honesty, kindness, and fairness.
- To be considered for this role, you must currently reside in the metro area of Austin, Texas.
The Lead Producer will report to City Cast’s Content Director. This position is full-time, with excellent benefits. The annual salary range is $80,000 – $100,000, depending on experience. You must be local, though work will be primarily remote. City Cast is an equal opportunity employer committed to excellence through diversity, which involves attracting talented people from diverse backgrounds and traditions. Read about our mission and core values here. We encourage everyone to apply.