Wondery is seeking a Manager, Content Strategy to support our large and growing content portfolio. The candidate should be business-minded, enthusiastic, efficient, and detail-oriented. This is a great opportunity to work for one of the leaders in the audio space, and define the content investment, content strategy, target audiences, and distribution strategy in this emerging, high-growth segment.
This full-time position will report to the Head of Content Operations, Programming, and Strategy. It is a highly cross-functional role that will work with many departments across Wondery and Amazon to ensure we are balancing our strategic goals and achieving impactful outcomes for our content. They will have a positive attitude that helps them thrive in an intellectually curious, fast-paced, and deadline-driven environment.
In this role, you’ll work on answering the following questions:
Is our programming strategy leading to new listeners and subscribers and maximizing lifetime value?
How should we allocate our investment across categories, genres, and content types?
Are we investing enough in various content types?
This position is right for you if you’re entrepreneurial, experienced in analyzing and valuing premium entertainment content –particularly for subscription businesses — and are excited to not only build a new business, but also to explore new categories of podcast listening and monetization. You must be an avid podcast listener!
Key job responsibilities
– Refine the programming strategy for Wondery podcast content, (inclusive of Wondery+-specific original content investments, partnership investments), ensuring we maximize the impact of our investments on Wondery’s listener growth goals.
– Define and oversee the allocation of the content budget, creating mechanisms and analyses to regularly evaluate and track performance of individual titles and the overall content offering, feeding back insights to the relevant stakeholders to refine the offering.
– Establish key goals in the budget in conjunction with Content and Partnerships teams, for which those teams would be accountable.
– Develop business cases for investing into new categories, genres, or content types to grow Wondery’s listener base.
– Operate globally to establish frameworks that can be adopted and adjusted for local needs regionally and in different territories.
– Work closely with Analytics & Research, as well as Finance, to develop and optimize the analytical frameworks to evaluate the impact of our content investments, windowing strategies, and distribution strategies, and to accurately forecast the impact of future investments.
– Assess incoming Original and third-party content opportunities, evaluating both the potential value for Wondery and Wondery+.
– Track and evaluate customer acquisition, retention and lifetime value by show, genre, category, content type.
About the team
Wondery, an Amazon company, is a premium podcast studio known for character-driven, binge-worthy stories including Dr. Death, British Scandal, Even the Rich and Business Wars, and distribution of hit partner shows SmartLess, Morbid, and How I Built This. Wondery was behind six of the “Top 25 New Shows of 2023”, according to Podtrac, including Exposed: Cover-Up at Columbia University, MrBallen’s Medical Mysteries, and Ghost Story. Over 50 shows from Wondery have hit #1 on Apple Podcasts including Scamfluencers and Over My Dead Body. Many Wondery podcasts have been adapted for scripted television or streaming series, including Dr. Death and Joe vs Carole on Peacock and The Shrink Next Door and WeCrashed on Apple TV+. Wondery has gained critical acclaim and commercial success for its immersive approach to sonic, emotionally driven storytelling. The Wondery app offers a unique, personalized podcast listening experience, including access to its premium ad-free offering Wondery+. With Wondery+, fans experience early access, exclusive episodes, and ad-free listening. https://wondery.com/
We are open to hiring candidates to work out of one of the following locations:
- Culver City, CA, USA
- New York, NY, USA
– 6+ years experience in analytical/quantitative disciplines
– Understanding of subscription entertainment business models, dynamics, and drivers.
– Bachelor’s degree in finance, economics, mathematics, statistics, or other relevant fields that demonstrates quantitative orientation.
– Experience working in fast paced, deadline driven environments
– Ability to work on and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, while being able to identify problems before they arise
– Proficiency in Programming Finance
– Confident leader who can communicate clearly, both verbal and written, across all levels of the organization with a proven ability to influence others
– MBA or equivalent
– 5+ in programming strategy for a podcast network, streaming video service, broadcast or cable TV network, or other premium entertainment service
– 5+ years in a top management consulting firm, investment bank, private equity, hedge fund, and/or media/entertainment/tech company in a strategy/business development/analytical role.
– Experience in working in a highly-demanding environment using complex modeling and analysis
– Highly analytical and effective communicators with experience presenting complex analyses.
– Experience in financial modeling skills and conducting quantitative and qualitative analysis
– Proficiency with Excel and SQL
– Familiarity with and passion for podcasts
– Collaborative nature and willingness to work with team members from all disciplines
– Demonstrate bias for action with strengths in problem solving, issue-resolution, attention to detail, and scalable solutions
– Expert knowledge of Airtable automations, formulas, and workflows, and have the ability to create multi-base Airtable systems to support our operational needs
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.
Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $79,100/year in our lowest geographic market up to $190,400/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. For more information, please visit https://www.aboutamazon.com/workplace/employee-benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.